Jedi Music

A Resource for the Beginning Elementary Music Teacher

11.11.2011

Veteran's Day

Happy Veteran's Day...and a huge thank you for all who have served and sacrificed.  My very favorite Veteran's Day memory was when my grandfather was honored in the Veteran's Day parade in our town, along with his 6 brothers.  All seven of the brothers had served in World War II, and each one made it home safely.  I can still see him marching down Main Street, shoulder to shoulder with his brothers. Their only regret was that at the time (mid-1980s) they could no longer fit into their service uniforms!



Veteran's Day is a perfect time to introduce your students to the music of the branches of our Armed Forces.  In my days playing in the middle school band, our director would choose a medley of Armed Forces songs, and invite veterans of each branch to stand when the band played their song.  I'd always be peeking out of the corner of my eye to see my Grandpa stand proudly when we played the Air Force's "Off we go, into the wild blue yonder...".

No comments:

Post a Comment