Jedi Music

A Resource for the Beginning Elementary Music Teacher

11.16.2011

Children's Literature for Music Ed: "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie" with Differentiated Instruction Ideas

Of all of the "Old Lady" book adaptations, this one is my personal favorite...probably because she is finally eating some delicious and edible goodies (except for when she devours the pot used for cooking!), and she reminds me of our own gluttony on the holiday of Thanksgiving! (Although, now that I am the one preparing the food for the feast, I find that I eat a less at dinner...wonder why? Must be sampling too much as I'm cooking!)

Here are some differentiated ideas on including "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie" in your music instruction:




  • For even more differentiated instruction for "Old Lady" click here.

  • For American Education Week Festivities this week, I'll have some extra eyes, ears, and hopefully VOICES when we are singing this song: It's Parent Visitation Day both on Tuesday and Thursday at each of my schools!

  • At one of my schools, we have a student-led television studio, and they will be broadcasting this lesson to the school as a wrap-up to their news broadcast special feature for Parent Visitation Day.  I've recruited some of my third graders to act as co-teachers and assist the first grade students learn this song.  I'll be updating on how this activity goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment